Cornstarch lube is a do-it-yourself (DIY) lube made using cornstarch and water.
You can use it as a natural alternative to store-bought KY Jelly or if you’re looking for a water based lubricant suitable for sensitive skin.
We’ll cover how you can make this lube alternative at home and even give you some DIY options if you’re allergic to cornstarch.
Also Check Out
How to Make Cornstarch Lube at Home
Making cornstarch lube at home is as easy as pie. Here’s what you’ll need and how to go about it.
- 2 - 4 teaspoons of cornstarch or corn flour (for stickier lube, add more corn starch as needed)
- 1 cup of water
- A pan or pot for boiling water
- A container to store the DIY lube (like a hand sanitizer bottle)
Note: If you’re allergic to corn, you can use potato starch instead.
- Mix the cornstarch and water in your pan or pot. We recommend starting with two teaspoons and adding more (for a total of 4 teaspoons) if the mixture seems too transparent.
- Keep stirring the mixture while it's boiling to avoid lumps in your lube.
- Once it’s thoroughly mixed and you’re satisfied with the consistency, let it cool naturally.
- Once it’s cooled down (a few minutes), pour it into a suitable container.
|Read More: Let us convince you to make the Switch to Organic Lube.|
5 Reasons to Try Out Cornstarch Lube
There are many reasons why you should give cornstarch lube a go, especially as a lube alternative to aloe vera gel.
1. Shields from Frictional Injuries
Several medical conditions can lead to vaginal dryness, and not using lube can aggravate the situation, leading to skin tears.
By using cornstarch lube, you can offer yourself and your partner natural lubrication for penetrative sex. It will shield you from frictional injuries and ensure a pleasurable experience.
2. Doesn’t Promote Yeast Infection
According to one study, corn starch doesn’t encourage the growth of Candida Albicans (yeast).
This means that using lube made from corn starch can actually help reduce the chances of you or your partner getting a yeast infection.
3. Free from Harmful Chemicals
Many store-bought lubes contain potentially irritating or harmful ingredients that cause skin irritation or infections.
Using a DIY lube made from cornstarch or corn flour ensures you’re in complete control of what you use in your intimate areas.
4. Quick and Cheap to Make
Since all you need is some cornstarch and water, this homemade lube can be a great alternative to expensive, store-bought lubricants.
5. Works with Sex Toys and Latex Condoms
As cornstarch lube is water based, it’s safe to use with latex products such as condoms, gloves, and dental dams. You can also use it with your silicone sex toys without worrying about damaging them.
Read More: Check out 15 Best Natural Lubricants for your sensitive lady bits and all types of sexual play.
3 More DIY Alternatives You Can Try for Vaginal or Anal Sex
What if you run out of corn starch?
Don’t worry! We have you covered.
1. DIY Lube - Oil Based
Here’s a DIY lube you can use as a personal lubricant or a sensual massage oil.
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon beeswax
- 5 drops of your favorite essential oils
- Melt the coconut oil and beeswax using a double boiler.
- Add your essential oils to this melted mixture.
- Remove the mixture from heat and let it cool (the texture will get hard).
- Whip the mixture until it’s light and fluffy.
- Store in a glass jar until the expiry date of the coconut oil.
2. DIY Lubricant - Hybrid
This hybrid lube uses a water based ingredient (aloe vera) and an oil based one (flax seed oil). Ensure you make this lube fresh each time to enhance pleasure.
- 1/4 cup aloe vera gel
- 1/4 cup flax seed oil
- 4 drops of peppermint (or any other) essential oil
- Mix all the ingredients and use the mixture instantly.
3. Homemade Lube - Condom Safe
This homemade lube recipe is not only safe to use with a latex condom as it’s water based, but you can also refrigerate the mixture for up to two weeks.
- 1 cup flax seeds
- 3 cups of filtered water
- Add flax seeds to boiling water and cook until the seeds are soft.
- Drain the water and remove the seeds.
- Let the mixture cool naturally.
- Refrigerate for future use.
|Read More: Check out our post on some more DIY lubricant and Homemade Lube Options.|
Lube Alternatives You Can and Cannot UseHere are some other natural ingredients you can use as lube in a pinch:
The oils may degrade the effectiveness of latex gloves or a latex condom. Also, patch test an ingredient to check for allergies before using it as lube.
In contrast, there are some products you must never use as a sexual lubricant, such as:
Instead, you can try the Coconu natural lube range for pleasure without worry!
The Coconu Personal Lubricant Range
Coconu’s personal lubricant range has something for everyone and supports all kinds of sexual activity.
1. Water Based Lube
The Coconu Water Based Personal Lubricant ($24.99) is a strong, long-lasting lubricant with a silky feel that moisturizes your sensitive skin while enhancing pleasure.
Made with 100% natural ingredients such as coconut water and xanthan gum, this hypoallergenic and edible lube is completely free from fragrances, parabens, dyes, gluten, alcohol, and petroleum.
2. Oil Based Lube
The Coconu Oil Based Lube ($24.99) offers a stimulating and deeply satisfying sexual experience for you and your partner.
The long-lasting formula will keep the fun going for hours while simultaneously reducing skin irritation, making it the perfect anal lube.
You can also use this lube as a massage oil because it contains coconut oil, sunflower seed oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, and Vitamin E, which can provide natural health benefits while helping relieve vaginal dryness.
3. Hemp Massage Oil
The Coconu Hemp Infused Body Oil ($34.99) infuses the goodness of coconut oil with hemp to help relax your muscles and nourish your skin before, during, and after sex.
It features amazing ingredients such as sunflower seed oil, coconut oil, hemp extract, shea butter, cocoa butter, and Vitamin E.
The perfect multitasker, this oil can be used as lube or as a massage oil.
Let the Fun Never Stop!
Cornstarch lube can be a great alternative to help you enjoy sex without discomfort, especially if you've got sensitive skin. It can be used with a condom or sex toy, enhancing your pleasure with every step.
And if you’re looking for more natural alternatives, you can always opt for Coconu’s personal lubricant options made with 100% natural ingredients and no irritants.